Thursday, July 23, 2009

Can I pick up where I left off?

I was just cooking and thinking about how much I like to cook. Its more than just a one-dimensional activity for me, rather its creating something. Even when following a recipe there is technique, quality of ingredients, attention to detail and many more components of creating a great dish or an unforgettable disaster. I love to have involved recipes that require my concentration & multitasking, but also very much appreciate the meals you know by heart and simply cook. A 5 course experience is not practical 3 meals a day, 7 days a week.

I also really love healthy food. Some of the best meals I've eaten, I have been able to wholeheartedly enjoy because there wasn't any guilt of 'oh, I shouldn't be eating this'. I love a well balanced meal because it always settles so perfectly with your body- unlike eating just pasta, or just a salad, or just a steak. Don't get me wrong...I love food, but have realized its not just about my tastebuds.

I was then thinking that this is a lot like life. Its multi-dimensional in that you don't simply live, but rather there is a combining of elements. You can have a high carbohydrate life full of fun, activity and always after that great taste. It trends towards the stop-start extremes of overindulging and then sharply cutting back. You can also have an all protein life which might tend towards regimented intentionality, boundaries and structure. Never vary from the script-a life full of responsibility and limitations with little enjoyment. Or bland, low quality ingredients that have little nutrative value nor tastebud appreciation- same old, same old. Or a vegan (don't slap me) diet that can create deficiences and frankly, be high maintenance for others.

There are extremes in food & living. I'm reminded today that a balanced life, just a like a balanced meal, needs attention & intention- you have to put the right things in place. I want a life composed of quality ingredients that with an appropriately applied technique, can yield a deliciously satisfying experience while simultaneously being beneficial & powerpacked with health. That just doesn't happen. Life and food can be serious fun, but there is effort involved...and it is worth it.

Psalm 39:4 "Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered—how fleeting my life is."

1 comment:

Bree said...

Great post-balance with our spiritual life as well-a well intentioned, disciplined time with our Lord can yield His precious blessings :) So glad to see you posted!! yay :) big hugs!